*/

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thoughts on week 4

You may notice that this posting is coming a few days after the pictures that i posted for week 4 on Sunday night. That's because from the time that I hit the "Publish Post" button it took about 20 minutes for me to be on the floor shaking so violently I couldn't stand, completely overtaken by the flu. I kid you not, 20 minutes. The most sick by far I have been in years and I didn't stop shivering for about 3 hours. I've been completely down for the last 3 days and am finally well enough (but not yet well) to sit and type at the computer. So without further ado, here's some thoughts on the week (as I try to pull them back from the haze).

It was a pretty good if not hectic week. I was able to get fish in my plastic tupperware (although I think the guy behind the counter needs to get used to the idea a bit more), bread from the bakery in my re-used bags - with no problem, and my wife picked up eggs in our re-used egg carton from the farmers market on Sunday. I know that's not a huge deal, or at least doesn't sound like it, but it does mean that I'm actively chipping away at the problem and that makes me happy. And if you ever decide to do something wacky like keeping your trash in your basement, you'll soon realize that every little bit helps.

Still no real smell coming from the basement which makes all of us happy, and the girls are still diggin' (pun intended) the worms quite a bit. My wife is getting a great deal of pleasure from saying things like "So did you hear that Dave's keeping all of his trash in the basement this year" to some of the nbeighbors and watching their reactions. It's quite funny.

As far as amount, I'm sort of shocked by how little there is, but at the same time a bit concerned by how much space it's taking up. I've sort of done a visual *12 times* multiplication in my head, and I fear a lot of the tools and paint are going to need to find new homes. Ahh well, such is life.

I also just found out that in about two weeks I will be accompanying some local school kids to the Puente Hills Landfill, the largest landfill in the country, that's right here in our very own backyard in Southern California. Should be interesting and I promise to take lots of pictures, but leave no trash. It's kind of funny because they are all very excited about the visit and what I've been up to. I guess when you're in the sanitation biz you don't get nearly as many interested fans as one might think. Anyway, they sound really cool and knowledgeable so I'm psyched to riddle them with questions.

Finally, mea cupla again for taking so long on the worms info. I was crazed enough before the flu and that just set me back even more so as soon as I get my head above water on everything (bills, kids, life, blogs, chores, etc) I'll get on it.

On to listing the last 3 days - although due to the flu, they're a bit sparse.

Dave


No comments: