*/

Monday, July 14, 2008

Non-Toxic Cleaning Supplies

There is a really great post on the Tree Hugging Family blog about how to make non-toxic cleaning supplies for your house. It has never made sense to me, especially with kids, that we cover our living surfaces with toxic chemicals in order to clean up relatively benign dirt.  Of course you can buy all sorts of eco-safe products these days, but many of them will cost you more and you'll be wasting a lot of packaging in the process.


If you are looking for some more information and some different ideas, here's a great resource from LADWP of all places that has all sorts of recipes for non-toxic cleaners.

Dave


5 comments:

Studio38 said...

I have been amazed at how easy it is to make cleaners that are ecofriendly and thrifty. I make my own laundry detergent from baking soda, ivory soap and water! I even use a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle for most of my cleaning and it works great. Those companies that make all of those toxic cleaners on the market are raking in the dough while the consumers are polluting the environment - its sad really.

Anonymous said...

I agree!!! You can clean almost everything with baking soda, vinegar and/or lemon juice.

It's such a shame that we are polluting withall the commercial chemicals.

Best tip from me... clean up cooked or burned on food with simple baking soda and hot water. Just let the dish, pot or pan soak for awhile and wipe it clean easily.

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law gave me a great tip for cleaning. She mixes lavender oil with her vinegar spray bottle. You can still smell the vinegar, but it's a little nicer. ;]

Anonymous said...

Baking soda can also be used like cleanser - and in my opinion it actually works better than cleansers (even on my tub at it's worst), and is so much cheaper.

Anonymous said...

Tea tree oil is an antiseptic, i add a few drops to a diluted vinegar, and lemon juice for all purpose cleaning! it is great!