Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 114 - Thursday 4/24/08

Today's Haul:

  • 1 plastic plate - recycle
  • 1 cardboard razor package* - recycle
  • 1 area map - recycle (I usually put these back but forgot)
  • 6 clothing tags - recycle
  • 3 plastic clothing tag attachers - garbage
  • 2 business cards - recycle
  • 1 tea bag - worms
  • 1 tea bag cover - worms
  • 2 sugar packets - worms
  • 2 small chips bags - garbage
  • 1 packet instant cocoa mix - garbage
* I haven't posted any razors to the list just yet for two reasons, both having to do with my laziness.  I generally only shave twice a week (at best) even though my beard tends to grow pretty quick. As a result I look like Don Johnson from Miami Vice most of the time, with the minor exception being that it looks no where near as good (just ask the missus). As a result, a razor can last me a month or more and when I do change it, it sits on the counter in the bathroom for a bit.  So you'll see a few in the list in the next few days finally.  Not going throuhg them faster, just not hoarding.


mjp said...

I've switched to basic metal blades in the classic "razor blade" shape. Cheaper, more compact. I also use hard shaving soap and a brush instead of tins of foam. I wonder if this would be useful for reducing garbage?

Dave said...

Hey MJP,
I actually tried those for a bit a few years back and my face wouldn't deal with it. Pretty ugly, so i went back to the "disposables". As for face cream, I haven't used shaving cream from a can in years. Mug and brush for a while and now I'm down to just bar soap. Works fine. The mug and brush method easily went a year before I needed a new cake. Can you suggest any online "tutorials" on shaving with a straight razor?


Travis said...

Maybe a little late to be of use, but here is a good guide to using a "safety razor" (the kind that takes a simple metal blade, no plastic)


I've been shaving with a safety razor for over a year now, and I love it. It works much better for me than the double/triple/quad/+ blade "disposable" razors I used before.