*/

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

November 15th is America Recycles Day So Bring Out Your E-Waste

Four days from now, on Nov 15th, the National Recycling Coalition will be celebrating it's 11th annual America Recycles Day, a day dedicated to moving Americans towards recycling more and buying recycled products.  They have a very cool website with all sorts of resources including a Recycling 101 and a pledge that you can take to recycle more.  Make sure to see what's going on in your area and join in.


There are a ton of things going on here in California, but the biggest one near me is happening in Carson and involves ASL Recycling and Nokia.  We all know who Nokia is, but ASL recycling is really one of those companies that's doing pretty huge things.  They were brought to my attention by a friend of mine, and are really making a difference.  ASL operates hazardous waste/e-waste pickups almost every weekend here in Cali, and in an average month collects some 600 tons of e-waste, diverting it from landfills, and recycling 98% of what they collect.  How amazing is that?  Check out the great How We Do It function on their site, it's really fascinating and you'll notice, doesn't include shipping e-waste to Asia, which is nice.  Very cool.

So come on out to a local event on the 15th, bring your e-waste, and take the pledge to recycle more!

Dave

1 comment:

Average Jane said...

Hi Dave,
I am also saving my rubbish in Southern California. I have been at it five and a half months so far. I support your efforts at not filling up landfills. But I wonder at encouraging people to recycle. The way we recycle now is labor/resource/toxin intensive and is actually really bad for the environment. I'm not saying that it couldn't be good, just that we're not doing it very well right now.

I think a lot of people (perhaps not you) think that if they have recycled something, that is environmentally neutral. But it's just a palliative in other words, not a fix.

You can check out my blog and leave comments for me to worry about if you wish at www.ilivewithit.blogspot.com .