*/

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 3

Todays Haul.

  • 3 aluminum coffee cans with cool tops (from something shipped) - Repurposing at my kids school for storage
  • 1 cardboard box with newspaper cushioning - to the basement and eventually to the worms (they are a bit full at the moment)
  • 3 aluminum cans of beans - down to the recycle pile
  • 1 plastic bag of frozen peas LDPE 4 - down to the recycle pile
  • 1 compostable veggie tray - to the worms with it!
  • 1 saran wrap cover - recycle pile
  • 1 cardboard sleeve - worm bin eventually
  • 3 small pieces of paper and 1 paper sandwich wrapper - worm food
  • 1 cardboard food box - work bin
  • 1 cell phone lithium battery - down to the basement, but I'll have to look into what can REALLY eventaully be done with this
  • 3 paper receipts - worms
  • 1 small bag of human hair (that sounds cool doesn't it) - out on the lawn to biodegrade and help the birds with their nests (I think Biscuit shnorted some of it up as well)
  • 1 piece of gum that is drying in the wrapper - sure I could have swallowed it, but Ben Adamson told me in the second grade that it takes 7 years for that to digest, so to the trash pile it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The saran wrap should go in the garbage pile, I'm afraid. Probably the frozen peas bag, too. I know that some programs accept those bags, but whether or not they truly get recycled is another question. As it was explained to me, just because a bag is labelled #4 doesn't mean it's made with the same recipe as any other #4 bag. They all have different additives. So in order for them to actually be recycled, they need to all be the same. Like a great big bin of Safeway garbage bags would be very valuable to a recycler, but the frozen peas bag would probably be a contaminant.

Anonymous said...

I was told by my municipal recycling center (City of Glendale, CA) that if they find anything that doesn't belong in the recycling bin (plastic shopping bags, for instance) that they then have to reject the entire load to the dump. That's not just your garbage can, but the whole truck. Whether this is true or just a scare tactic, I can't verify, but it makes sense in a municipal mindset: we can't expect them to go through all the waste pulling out the non-recyclables, can we?

Anonymous said...

I've never used this but I just heard about this company that takes in cell phones/accessories and then refurbishes and sells them anything not useable or considered scrap is recycled. Nothing is sent to "underdeveloped countries":

http://www.recellular.com/index.asp

I am totally addicted to your blog!!