*/

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Week One Overview

As I look back on the first week (well it was almost a full week anyway) I'm really kind of shocked at all that has happened.

For starters this whole thing wasn't even more than an idea a week ago tonight and now here I am full on into it, and connected to so many new and interesting voices. It's really quite remarkable and fairly overwhelming all at the same time.

Here are a few things I have learned this week

  • I need to start flossing as I fear that my dentist will read this blog
  • It seems that what's old is new again and we never should have changed in the first place. I wrote about handkerchiefs but I also realized that by buying our bread at the bakery, I can supply my own bag and I support a local business. It's an extra trip, but it's fresher, creates less waste, and is less expensive. As an added bonus, I keep my money in my community.
  • By going to the local fishmonger (I don't actually know if that's what they are called but I like the idea) I can save on packaging, support a local business, and get fresher cheaper fish from someone who knows where it came from. It took a bit to explain why I didn't want the Styrofoam holders, but he seems to have gotten it.
  • I need to remember to bring my own soap and shampoo when I travel so as not to use the plastic covered stuff they offer.
  • I can take myself out of the milk carton cycle and save money at the same time. Whole Foods sells 32 oz of milk in a glass container for .40 more than in a plastic one. When I bring it in I get 1.25 back, so it actually saves me money as well as reduces my waste impact.
I think the biggest thing that I realized is that a great amount of the waste I create is tied into time. For instance, going to the baker, the fishmonger (there's that word again) and the farmers market takes more time (conceivably anyway, I actually don't think it does as there are less people so no line waiting) but allows me to limit my packaging waste. In addition, by planning a weeks worth of meals ahead of time, something I'd like to start doing, I should be able to limit my waste even moreso by making more things from scratch - which again will take more time.

Either way, a great first week and only 51 more to go.

Thanks for your support.

Dave




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I buy milk in glass bottles too (Raw Milk from Claravale Dairy - check it out, it's yummy and good for you!). I doubt that Whole Foods is giving you $1.25 to return the bottle - they are charging a $1.25 deposit when you buy the milk (if they didn't this time I suspect it was an error) and then you get a bottle refund of $1.25 when you return it - a wash.

I keep checking in on your blog - I'm addicted and now constantly thinking about this trash business!

Anonymous said...

That's right. The $1.25 is a deposit that you pay when you buy the milk. It still costs more than the milk in the carton. But it's probably worth it environmentally because it's local and probably organic (you didn't say what brand.)

Dave said...

Hah, LOL. I asked three separate people in the store this question because it didn't seem to make sense, but then forgot to check my receipt as I was busy bagging since they were crazed. Sure enough, 1.25 deposit fee. That said, I think .40 more than represents the real cost I'm not paying when buying plastic. I'll have to check on the brand but it was organic and I recall that it was local as well.

Anonymous said...

Dave you're an absolute nut and I love you! Good luck with this, and thanks for making me take a good look at my waste production!